Friday, August 7, 2015

Customer Service in Dry Cleaning Part I



Up until a few years ago, I worked outside the home. I’d worked at a variety of different jobs ranging from telephone sales (ugh!) to janitorial to security and I was a paralegal for a short time. However, most of my working life was spent in customer service. I delivered pizzas for Domino’s until the night some guy in a pickup truck decided to make a left turn in front of me without looking. I spent just over a year at Burger King, first in the kitchen and then at the front taking care of customers. I enjoyed being at the front taking care of customers most of the time. Once in a while there would be a rude one, but they were largely in the minority.

Most of my customer service experience though, comes from working in a Dry Cleaner/Laundromat. It was while working there that I learned that the old adage about “the customer is always right” isn’t true. I worked at two different Dry Cleaners and while there times when we made mistakes and had to do our best to rectify those mistakes, there were definitely times when the customer was wrong.

Allow me to explain.

Spots and Stains

As professional cleaners we were often expected to remove everything a customer has managed to spill, splatter, or grind into their clothing. If only we could. Unfortunately, even with the expensive, chemicals available to the industry, it’s not possible for a variety of reasons. The stain itself may be particularly stubborn and in some cases, it’s the fabric that holds on to the stain. Rayon, acetate and rayon/acetate blends in particular are notorious for staining easily or having what I call “disappearing stains.” That means you spill some liquid, including water on the garment and it “disappears” till you take it in to have it cleaned and then it’s there in all its splotchy glory. The worst part is that no matter what a cleaner does, those kinds of stains will not come out and they end up hanging a tag on the hangar that tells you that although they’ve done their best, the stains in your garment are not coming out. Some people think that means they shouldn’t have to pay because the cleaner failed to get the stain out. Sorry, but you do have to pay. By the time the cleaner knows the stain won’t come out, they’ve cleaned the garment at least once and possibly more if they think there’s a chance it will come out with more cleaning and then the garment is pressed.  In other words, they’ve done their job and are due the price you agreed to pay when you dropped your clothes off.

The best advice anyone can offer is, if you spill something on yourself, blot it up as best you can and take it to the cleaners as soon as possible. The stain might not come out, but that gives you the best chance the cleaner can remove it. Also be sure to tell the counter person at the cleaners about the stain and what it is. That will help increase the chance the cleaner will be able to remove it.

Re-doing Clothes

In some cases the cleaner will miss a stain and the garment comes back to be cleaned again. In that situation the cleaner will do it again at no charge, but again there is no guarantee the stain will come out. Believe me, cleaners wish that someone would invent a way to remove all stains without damaging a garment, but that just isn’t possible. There are way too many variables.

Buttons

Buttons can be a bit of a sore point between cleaner and customer. The customer needs to know and remember that because the cleaner did not produce the garment and therefore did not sew on the buttons, the cleaner has no way of knowing how the buttons on a garment will hold up in the cleaning process. I had more than one customer come to me and fuss about ruined buttons even though in some cases it was obvious that we’d done what we could to protect the buttons by wrapping them in foil. The only sure way to protect fancy buttons on a garment is to have the cleaner take them off and sew them back on for an extra fee, or remove them yourself and sew them back on later.

Shirt buttons were a constant problem because of the pressure exerted by the shirt press. The first place I worked at simply didn’t have the resources to replace them, but the second cleaners did and I often had to sew buttons on shirts that had lost one or two.

Women’s Shirts

I often got asked why washing and pressing a woman’s shirt cost more than a man’s. Well, there are two reasons for that. One, women’s shirts are generally smaller and won’t fit the press, which is designed for men’s shirts; therefore a presser must do a lot of the pressing by hand. Two, women’s shirts at that time often had ruffles down the front or some kind of fancy trim that again, had to be pressed by hand. That’s more labor intensive and as a result costs more.

Children’s Clothing

This was another thing that people asked me why it costs more. Well, again children’s clothing is smaller than the adult clothing for which the presses are designed. As a result, any time you have to clean your son or daughter’s dry clean only clothing, the garments are going to require a lot of hand pressing and take more time, which adds to the cost. I’d also like to remind you that the cleaner cannot guarantee that every stain your child got on his clothes is going to come out.

Clothes Shrinking in Cleaning

In all the years I worked in dry cleaning, I only saw one garment shrink. It was an angora sweater and I did not realize at the time that it needed a short cleaning cycle, with a cooler than normal drying cycle. Sorry to say that I accidentally shrunk that pretty little sweater and my boss had to pay for it. Now, having written that, there’s not another fabric that I know of that shrinks in dry cleaning. As much as we women hate to admit when we gain weight and can no longer wear our clothes, it’s not the cleaner’s fault. The dry cleaning process is a liquid chemical process specifically designed to do the best possible job of cleaning your clothes without shrinking. I had a few women come to me and complain that we’d shrunk their clothes, but reality was they had gained weight. All dry cleaners handle hundreds of garments a day without shrinking anything.

Lost Garments

Unfortunately, this does happen from time to time, despite a cleaner’s best efforts to ensure that it doesn’t. I can remember three specific instances of items going missing for one reason or another.

The first instance was a pair of linen shorts from a regular customer. I was worried and did my best to find them. To make matters worse, I had her fill out a report and she valued them at $100 because they were linen. That really worried me! The last time she came looking for them, I remembered that we’d had a couple of garments turn up under “No Name” on our rack and I checked there. Thankfully, I found her shorts and handed them over. She offered to pay for the cleaning, but under the circumstances, I didn’t feel right charging her for the cleaning. I voided the ticket and stapled it to her report.

Another time I had a lady claim that the laundry she’d brought in for us to do for her brother was missing a pair of pants. I looked around quite thoroughly, but could not find them. In this situation she hadn’t brought us his dry cleaning, but rather his regular laundry, which we never tagged as we washed each customer’s laundry separately. I also knew her brother lived in a nursing home and at the time nursing homes were infamous for mixing up people’s clothes and losing things, even when a relative of the patient did the patient’s laundry instead of the nursing home. I asked if she’d checked with the nursing home and she said she hadn’t. In fact, she refused to check with them. I had her fill out a claim form, but as I told my boss, she couldn’t prove we’d had anything to do with her brother’s pants until she checked with the nursing home. She never checked with the nursing home and we never paid the claim.

The last time someone claimed a missing item, the customer had no receipt and as I told her at the time, without a receipt to prove the item was here, there was nothing I could do. She insisted on taking a good look around the shop, which we did, but to no avail.

To be continued next week . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment